About a month ago, we had a dirt party to do some work in the backyard. And the main result was this project: Nathan's raised beds.
The dirt area around them will eventually be a path with a trellis in the middle. And they are no longer empty. This weekend, we (me) designed and (Nathan) planted them. And because Shelby has been very clingly lately, she sneaks her way into the photos.
This is the perennial bed, which, assuming all of the flowers live, will be the same every year.
However, we thought it would be fun to redesign them each year, too. So this ended up being the annual bed.
When we picked out flowers, we used the color wheel for inspiration. The bottom tier of both is yellow, orange, whites, and pinks. The middle tier is purples, reds, greens, and pinks. And the top tier has purple fountain grass and other tall plants. When we grouped them, we put complementary colors across from each other. It took a lot of effort, but the result is worth it. I'm already looking forward to summer when the bed get filled in.